March 9, 2007

Mission Trip to Malawi

From May 28 to June 14, 2007 I will be participating in a mission trip to Malawi, Central Africa. Below is my newsletter that I will be sending out by mail in the near future.



Malawi
…

Malawi is located in Central Africa, sharing a border with Tanzania, Mozambique and Zambia. Malawi gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1964. Today, with a population of 13 million, Malawi is 80% Christian and 13% Muslim and has confirmed both English and Chichewa as official languages.

According to the United Nations Development Report 2006, Malawi is ranked as the 166th poorest out of 177 countries, with a GDP per capita of $646 and a life expectancy of 39.8 years. Many live on less than $1 a day.

…and Pittsburgh Presbytery

The Pittsburgh Presbytery has been involved with churches in Malawi since 1991. In partnership with Blantyre Synod, Malawi, more than 400 volunteers have represented Pittsburgh Presbytery. In addition, Pittsburgh Presbytery has hosted an equal number of Malawians. The mission of this partnership is to “to carry out God’s plan for his world though mutual encouragement in our faith and life journey’s in partnership with the Synod of Blantyre of the Church of Central Africa Presbyterian (CCAP) in Malawi, Africa.”

Currently, 35 Presbyterian churches in Pittsburgh Presbytery are partnered with a church in Malawi. Through education events, pastoral exchanges and building construction, the relationships between the churches in Malawi and their sister church here in Pittsburgh have been strengthened.

Mission Trip Malawi 2007

The Malawi Mission Trip 2007 is through Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and World Mission Initiative, both subsidiaries of Pittsburgh Presbytery. The purpose of this trip is to be exposed to some of what God is doing in the world and strengthen the partnership that currently exists between the Pittsburgh Presbytery and the Blantyre Synod in Malawi. Time will be spent assisting in the Parallel Theological Program, operated through the partnership. In addition, there will be extensive time spent immersed in the Malawian culture.


My Past Experiences in Malawi

From Jan 15- May 12, 2006, I participated in an internship program through collaboration between Calvin College and the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC). I was placed with Save Orphans Ministries (SOM), a partner organization with CRWRC Malawi.

During this internship, I was given the task of developing an Income Generating Activities program framework. The objective of this program was to assist poor local communities to develop ways of increasing their means of generating income. Through small loans provided by SOM, the participants began the process of establishing some sort of income generating activity.

In addition to my work with SOM, I lived with a host family. Through my interaction with them, I was able to learn more about Malawian culture and eventually was able to participate in it through the local language, Chichewa, which I hope to enhance further.

This Mission Trip’s Goals

My goals for Mission Trip Malawi 2007 are three-fold. First, I hope to discover more about my calling to assist the poor. Specifically, I hope to discover more about the true meaning of Micah 6:8: to seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God.

Secondly, I hope to learn more about the partnership between Pittsburgh Presbytery and churches in Malawi. As a member of Shadyside Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh, I hope to play an active role in fostering the relationships between Malawi and Pittsburgh. In addition, I hope to learn more about the programs that Pittsburgh Presbytery is currently supporting in Malawi.

Thirdly, as a Masters of International Development student at the University of Pittsburgh, I hope to foster a better understanding of the role of short term mission trips in development. In addition, I hope to gain a better understanding of the theological grounding for development from the seminary student participants.

How To Get Involved

Pray for our team. Pray for the new friends we will make in Malawi. And pray for me: for health and protection on the trip, for my effectiveness in ministry and ability to learn new things from this experience. Pray that I will find the financial support to make this trip possible. Pray especially that I will return with a renewed vision to share with the church in the United Sates.

Another way that you can participate is to support me financially. The cost of the trip is $2,900 per person, which must be paid by May 1. I am trusting God to move in people’s hearts, leading them to give toward this mission trip. Please prayerfully consider this opportunity to participate in this trip with me.

If you feel called to support me financially, please make checks payable to World Mission Initiative and mail to my address: 514 N Sheridan Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15206. Donations are tax deductible and you will receive a receipt for your donation. To keep you informed, I have created this blog where I will post pictures, thoughts, and stories during my trip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I cannot support you financially I do support you emotionally. So good luck. I hope it's another successful trip.

~Maria~ said...

So far, it looks great! I like the color theme you've chosen! I've already put a link on my site to yours, so hopefully traffic will pick up.